Friday, February 11, 2011

Thoughts from Jean

Red Beans and Rice on Monday. Yeah! Southern Fried Chicken like none I have ever tasted along with Jambalaya with Andouille Sausage and hamhocks. Red beans and rice the best! Until you have Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce. Gloria and Joe's hospitality speaks volumes of the indomitable spirit of these people.

Another experience of this spirit and hospitality was our welcome at Marian and Robert's gracious Garden District home. Their King Cake was the best!

My best experience was meeting Miss Beverly. She epitomizes to me the spirit and hope of the New Orleans people. I cry now even as I think of her.

My New Orleans and St. Michael's friends remind me once again of a special prayer:

Let me be hurt
But not be broken or destroyed
Allow me to be bruised, but
Not my spirit to be overcome
I know of suffering and
I do not fear it.
I only fear my strength to carry it.
I ask not to escape from the doubts
And the pain; I only ask that I might
Carry them with GRACE; with HOPE;
With LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment