Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Tuesday, June 21st---Church of the Holy Spirit

A rainy day but the children's faces are all sunshine. They clearly love being here. They are polite and sweet. and I wish I could think of more to do for them. We met earlier in the kitchen of Our Saviour and made ten pans of ziti with tomato sauce, mozzarella, and fresh basil, a wonderful, chaotic group effort, bumping into each other and yelling directions. Sam had a messy twenty minutes grating mozzarella balls, while others stood over huge boiling pots of water and pasta, or tore up basil leaves and talked. The children liked the ziti (it really wasn't bad, if I do say so myself!). We served it to them with celery sticks and for dessert, great brownies baked by Judy Rice, Mary Stubbs and Barb Phinney. Some of the kids wanted seconds on the ziti, and some of them actually wanted more celery! I have never been thanked so enthusiastically for anything I have ever done. The children stood and screamed and waved and clapped. We were all grinning from ear to ear. A beautiful day. Sheila Monks

No comments:

Post a Comment